• 1 onion, sliced
• 2 red peppers
• 2 green peppers
• 6 large tomatoes (dark red and very ripe)
• 2 tablespoons (2 American tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) olive oil
• Salt, freshly ground pepper and sugar
• A clove of garlic, crushed
• A few leaves of fresh basil
Heat the olive oil in a casserole, add the garlic and cook for a few seconds, then add the sliced onion, toss in the oil and allow to soften over a gentle heat in a covered casserole while the peppers are being prepared. Halve the peppers, remove the seeds carefully, cut into quarters and then into strips across rather that lengthways. Add to the onion and toss in the oil; replace the lid and continue to cook.
Meanwhile peel the tomatoes (scald in boiling water for 10 seconds, pour off the water and peel immediately). Slice the tomatoes and add to the casserole, season with salt, freshly ground pepper, sugar and a few leaves of fresh basil if available.
Cook until the vegetables are just soft, 30 minutes approx.