Bacon-Brie Strata with Mushrooms and Rocket - By Margaret M Johnson
Ingredients: 8 slices bacon
1 large shallot, minced
1 1/2 pounds/750 g fresh white mushrooms, sliced
One bunch rocket, roughly chopped
10 slices stale bread buttered and cut into cubes
8 ounces/225 g Brie, chopped
9 large eggs
3 cups/750 ml milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon for 7 to 9 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the pan, let cool, and then finely chop. Set aside.
2. Add the shallots and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft but not browned. Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the rocket and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until wilted. Strain off the liquid and set aside.
3. Spray 13- by 9-inch/32- by 23-cm baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half the bread into the prepared dish. Top with half the mushroom mixture and half the cheese. Crumble half of the bacon over the top. Repeat the layers.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, tarragon, and pepper. Pour over the layers in the pan, pressing down with a spatula to be sure the bread absorbs the liquid. Cover with buttered aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking.
5. Preheat the oven to 350° F/180° C. Bake the casserole, covered, for 30 minutes, and then uncover and bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer, or until the filling is set and the top is browned. Top with additional grated cheese, if desired. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes, before serving. Serves 8 to 10