• 1 1/4 cups/300 g granulated sugar
• 8 tablespoons Kerrygold Irish butter, at room temperature
• 2 large eggs, separated
• 1 1/2 cups/175 g all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 cup/175 ml milk
• 4 tablespoos finely chopped walnuts
• 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
• 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1.Preheat the oven to 350° F/180° C. Spray a 9-inch/22.5 cm loaf pan
with butter flavored cooking spray and dust with flour. Tap out excess.
2. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup/225 g of the sugar and the butter with an electric
mixer until blended. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until smooth.
Beat in the flour, salt, and baking powder, alternating with the milk. Stir
in the nuts and 1 tablespoon of the lemon peel.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and then fold into the batter.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 55 to
60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Just before the end of the baking time, combine the remaining sugar, lemon
peel, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring frequently,
until the sugar dissolves. Glaze bread with lemon syrup immediately upon removing
from the oven. 6. 6. Cool in pan on rack for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the
bread from the pan and cool on the rack for 2 to 3 hours before slicing (or
wrap in foil and store at room temperature).