Ingredients: • 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 2 pounds lean beef, cubed
• 2 to 3 large onions, peeled and sliced
• 1/4 cup all purpose flour
• 6 to 8 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
• 1 head celery, thickly sliced
• 2 quarts homemade beef stock, or canned low-salt beef broth
• 1 cup Guinness Stout
• 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
• 1 tablespoon raisins
• 1 tablespoon tomato puree
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 2 tablespoons minced parsley
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and brown the meat all at once over high
heat, stirring constantly. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the meat is
lightly browned. Remove to a large kettle or dutch oven.
Reduce the heat in the skillet, add the onions, and cook for 3 to 5
minutes, or until soft but not browned. Add the flour and stir to coat the onions.
Transfer the onions to the kettle and add the remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is
tender. Adjust seasonings and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serves 6